Spring is officially here, according to the calendar, but the days, at least in Northeast Ohio, are still chilly — and today was downright frigid. Although we are eager to bust out our spring things and tuck our woolies deep into the closet, a move like that can be dangerously premature. OK, maybe not dangerous, but certainly premature.
Here’s how I put together one outfit to wear on a recent March day:
First, I mixed a medium-weight suede skirt with a lightweight, flowy blouse, a way to bring two seasonal pieces to “meet in the middle.” Although I mixed weights, the outfit works because the colors lean more toward winter than spring.
Second, I added ribbed tights in a light color to bring some balance to the outfit.
Third, I chose to wear leather boots since they are practically all-season, and they certainly worked on a chilly March day.
Here are a few more tips:
- Pair a lightweight blouse with a cardigan that you can wear open, wrapped around your shoulders or tied around your waist. See an example in this post.
- Start wearing lighter, brighter colors.
- Pair a sleeveless dress over a short-sleeved turtleneck.
- Add a splash of color and texture with a chunky scarf.
- Pair heavier pants with a long- or short-sleeved t-shirt.
- Top off a long denim skirt with a lightweight blouse.
- Add a second layer with a blazer or sweater.
What ideas do you have for transitioning from winter to spring? Leave us a comment!