Being fashionable is knowing and owning the latest trends. If you follow trends, you end up having to buy a new wardrobe every year. Who can afford to do that!?
Being stylish, however, is timeless. Style is something that is uniquely yours. Having style is first about knowing yourself and what you feel confident wearing. Key word: confident.
Chances are you already have a style. First clue? You know immediately on sight whether or not you like a piece of clothing. But that’s only a beginning.
Here are the secrets to being stylish:
- Never buy anything you don’t immediately love on the rack, so long as you look good in it!
- Invest in the basics, the classics (turtlenecks, cardigans, camis, oxford shirts, basic black dress, for example)
- Always buy your exact size, not what you hope to fit into after six weeks at the gym.
- Never give in to trends. If you can’t see yourself wearing it five years, don’t bother.
- Always choose a dramatic, breathtaking item, one that makes your whole outfit scream, “Look at me!”
- Always buy items that look good on you.
Remember, style doesn’t have to be expensive. In fact, style can be had at a pretty low price tag.
As Coco Chanel said, “Fashion fades, style is eternal.”